Air France (2018 – to date)
- Leading global Airline in its three main areas of activity: passenger transport, cargo transport and aircraft maintenance
- Non-Executive Board Director & member of the Audit Committee
Marshall Motor Holdings plc. (2015 – to date)
- Marshall Motor Holdings plc. is a top 7 dealer group with over £3Bio t/o, was the second largest privately owned dealer group in the UK, now listed on AIM stock exchange since April 2015.
- Non-Executive Board Director, member of Audit, & Remuneration committees.
Foreign & Colonial Investment Trust Plc. (2013 – to date)
- The first ever investment trust (since 1868). Publicly traded, constituent of the FTSE 250 index.
- Non-Executive Board Director & member of the Management Engagement Committee
SHARE Plc., The Share Center (2011 – to date)
- Publicly quoted parent company involved in stockbroking-related activities.
- Non-Executive Board Director and member of Audit, Risk, Investment and Remuneration committees.
AIC ( Association of Investment Companies) (2020 – to date)
- Membership association representing the interests of the Investment Trust industry
- Non-Executive Board Director,
WACL (Women in Advertising & Communications London) (2002 – to date)
- Not-for-profit group of 130 most influential women working in marketing & communications
- Chair of the WACL NED Talks committee – since 2013 – Organising key training events and providing strategic advice to the next generation of NEDs.
- Communication Officer & Board member – 2002 to 2016
- Member of Training& Development Committee – 1999 to 2011
We Are Vista (2016 – 2018)
- Leading intelligent, creative communications agency with clients across all sectors
- Non-Executive Board Director
Good Energy Group Plc. (2012 to 2017)
- Publicly traded vertically integrated utility, which sources 100% of its electricity from renewable sources
- Non-Executive Board Director member of Audit, & Remuneration committees and Chair of the Customer Board .
TRAVOLUTION (Jan 2010 – July 2011)
- UK’s leading multi-media brand for the online travel industry, published by the T W Group
- Board member – appointed to bring vital expertise and market intelligence in online publishing, distribution to the board
ISIC (International Student Identity Card) (Jan 2006 – Sept 2007)
- Producers of internationally-recognised student identity card: 4.5m cardholders worldwide
- Board member – recruited to inject impetus and find ways of embracing new trends building on the kudos of this established organization.
WORLD YOUTH STUDENT& EDUCATIONAL TRAVEL CONFEDERATION (Jan 2006 – Sept 2007)
- Not-for-profit organization of 550 world-leading specialists in student & youth travel services
- Board member – active member in the management meetings in Amsterdam.
ENTREPRENEUR, INVESTOR, SPEAKER and MENTOR (2011- to date)
- Founder and director of Advantage Portugal, a one-stop provider of personalised professional services to help foreigners investigate establishing homes, businesses or investments in Portugal.
- Consulting with a Luxury Hotel business, a Digital Marketing Consultancy a Car Rental business, an Activity Holiday business to improve commercial effectiveness. Also assessing business for Private Equity houses and working on a new internet start-up.
- Created career development sessions for the School of Life in London, for Imperial College in London and for Harvard Business School Alumni in Boston and London.
- Designed and facilitated workshops and conferences for WACL targeting future generation of women leaders in Marketing and Advertising.
- Business and Executive Mentor
- Angel investor in various small ventures in the hospitality sector.
CHEAPFLIGHTS MEDIA, London & Boston (2007-2011)
Global leader in internet-based flight search and price comparison: 8m visitors monthly, 8 countries, £30m annual t/o, 5 languages.
Global Business Development Director promoted from UK General Manager in 2009
Executive Leadership Team member, accountable for 97% of the revenues and related activities of the global business, operating across UK, USA, Canada with a team of up to 24 sales and marketing specialists. Key achievements include:
- Boosted revenues by 35% and EBITDA by 50% year-on-year during that period.
- Improved UK site visits from 40m to 60m Unique Visitors in 2 years as UK GM.
- Increased the number of advertisers from 150 to 300 in 2 years, successfully diversifying revenue streams to ensure that no single advertiser had more than 10% share of revenues.
STA TRAVEL, London (2001-2007)
World’s largest student travel company, across 76 countries, 420 outlets, $1.5bn annual t/o.
Managing Director, International Division
Executive Leadership team member and Managing Director of STA Travel’s incubator division. Spearheaded distribution of negotiated Air, Land and cultural exchange products through 3rd party licensed agents, across 76 countries in emerging markets & UK with full P&L accountabilities. Managed a team of 30 people. Achievements include:
- Delivered a divisional profit contribution increase of 400% in 2004 over 2003 and of 75% in 2005.
- Expanded STA Travel Brand and marketed own student travel products in 32 entirely new countries, including STA Travel’s entry strategy in China and Africa.
IFYOUTRAVEL.COM, London (2000-2001)
Europe’s No 1 online specialty travel business, including ifyouski; ifyoudive; ifyougolf etc.
Group Managing Director
Managing Director managing a team of 60 people in 4 countries (France, UK, Germany, Denmark) and owned Group P&L, as well as all revenues and business development efforts. Achievements include:
- Restructured business for post start-up phase, revised strategy of fast break-even and raised second round of funding of £2m.
- Sold IYT into AIM listed travel business to deliver shareholder exit strategy. Ifyouski.com brand is still Europe #1 ski website today.
DESTINEX.COM, London (1999-2000)
Start-up internet-based travel venture with angel backing was the first truly user led travel website.
Co-Founder & Director
Partnered with boss and CEO at Going Places to lead all Corporate Finance, Business Development, Business Strategy, Content Management, Community Management, Electronic Customer Relationship Management, Marketing, PR and Web Design efforts of a start-up venture.
GOING PLACES (now part of Thomas Cook Group), Woking (1996-1999)
UK’s No 2 holiday and foreign exchange retail company: 716 outlets: £1.5bn annual t/o.
Business Development Director, Going Places: promoted from Commercial Director in 1998, promoted from Marketing Director in 1997. Followed Thomas Cook boss Tony Bennett (new CEO) to lead all Business Development, Consumer Marketing, Supplier Negotiation, Corporate Communications and Public Relations efforts with a staff of 28 specialists. Accountable for a Marketing and consumer discount budget of £50m. Key achievements include:
- Doubled business profitability in 18 months to record level by launching Foreign Exchange as a new revenue stream, negotiating an increase in base commissions by £3.5m and developing Going Places brand and company strategy as the “Holiday Matchmaker”. This included the implementation of several marketing initiatives resulting in a 15% market share increase.
- Drove a major process re-engineering programme which included a new, sales, training, marketing and IT strategy. This resulted a 40% increase in profitability.
THORN EMI PLC, Reading (1995-1996)
Electrical and household goods rental business of Thorn EMI (before the demerger)
Director of Marketing Communications, Thorn Group Europe
Directed a marketing department with a staff of 14 specialists and budget of £30Mio. Highlights include:
- Planned and deployed marketing resources in the areas of store Merchandising, Media spend, Advertising creative process and direct marketing.
- Design and developed with each country GM the annual marketing plans and managed the planning process. Translated each brand’s marketing objectives into a complete and integrated strategy & plan.
THOMAS COOK GROUP, Peterborough (1994-1995)
World’s leading leisure travel groups
Head of Thomas Cook Promotions, Travel Vouchers & Loyalty Marketing, promoted from Strategic Marketing Projects Manager.
Hired by boss Tony Bennett to create a new cross-company business unit which delivered profitability through 3rd party promotional tie-ups with a team of 7 staff. Achievements include:
- Delivered £500K net profit within first 6 months and £1 million in the first fiscal year.
- Restored respectable reputation into the Travel Promotion industry post Hoover debacle.
- Built brand equity through 3rd party ties up with master brands such as Kodak, Philips, and others.
PEPSICO: Dallas TX, USA & Reading (1991-1994)
Fortune 500 global corporation, in the manufacturing, marketing and distribution of snack foods
Assistant Marketing Manager on Walkers Crisps promoted from Assistant Product Manager on snack foods (1993)
Strategic and day to day management of Walkers Crisps: the No. 1 food brand in the UK (1993 sales revenue of £350 million). Drove strategic brand planning and all brand management activities. Accountable for t/o, operating profit and market share performance of brand. Managed advertising and marketing budget of £9.6m by 1993. Achievement include:
- Masterminded the “Money Bags” instant win promotions from concept development to launch; achieving a 20% volume increase each time over an 8 week period and resulted in moving the brand from regional to national penetration.
McKINSEY & COMPANY, INC., Lisbon, Madrid, London (1987-1990)
Leading Global Strategy Management Consultancy firm
Consumer Analyst promoted from Research Manager
Member of consulting teams, researching, analysing, interviewing client and their competitors as well as creating strategies for growth in the following industries: Petrochemical, Retail distribution, Banking, Pharmaceutical, Insurance and FMCG.
M.B.A. Harvard Business School, Boston MA , USA (1992)
B.A. International Political Science, Geneva University, Switzerland (1986)
Shortlisted for the Financial Times 2016 NED Awards